Wednesday, December 31, 2014

August 4, 2014

TODAY - It has been almost 4 months now and Abah is still unconscious. 

August 4, 2014 as I was about to kick-start life after a long Raya break, Ibu told me that Abah's is now in ICU. I got an early text via Whatsapp at around 2:00 am that she had to bring Abah to the hospital as he was complaining of breathing difficulties. The next text was around 6:00 am. 

This is not the first time that he is admitted to the ICU but I sensed something extra than usual. So I decided to drive down to JB immediately that morning. As the 4.5 hours drive came to a complete, my heart was totally crushed. Abah is unconscious and was breathing through a machine. His heart stopped when the doctor was attending to his complaints and it took them more than 5 minutes to resuscitate him. That caused oxygen cut-off to the brain. It was unbearable to see him in such condition. We prayed and prayed that he would at least improve. It was a Monday. 

For the next couple of days, the doctors reduce the life support on him to see how well can he sustain. Alhamdulillah, he managed to stabilize the breathing on his own with minimum machine assistance. But he remains unconscious, mainly due to the lack of oxygen supply to the brain when he had the cardiac arrest. 

Thursday was a good day for us (to say the least). Abah was taken off the life support machine and his vital signs are improving. But still he has not waken up. Then came Friday, the day of his dialysis. After 20 odd minutes on the machines, we saw nurses running attending to him. His BP dropped drastically as he underwent the dialysis. Doctors were called in immediately to attend to him and we were told that they has lost hope and nothing can be done to him. After 5 days here, doctors are letting him go BUT not us. 

Consultation amongst ourselves decided to bring Abah across the straits into Singapore for further treatment. Ayah Long made a few calls and Queen Elizabeth seems to be the best place for him. So immediate arrangement was made to transport him there and for the next 2 months, Abah was there self-healing. Dialysis was a breeze and vital signs are improving even more. But unfortunately, he has not waken up from his 'sleep'. 

Now, Abah is resting at home. Unconscious but well. He has what they call Persistent Vegetative State and there is nothing the doctors can do for him. We are now trying traditional and spiritual healing that we were not able to when he was admitted. 

Abah, I pray for the best and hope for the best. But........... 
I really miss him, all his sudden texts at 2 or 3 in the morning when he could not sleep... 
His FB posts of my kids... and of our trips around with him or among ourselves.. 
I miss him in total and wish I could have a chat with him again... 

0 quickies: